No need for store-bought body butters with additives you can’t pronounce, and preservatives you can certainly do without. This easy DIY fragrant whipped body butter is for the season when you need that extra coverage, more decadent than sweet almond oil right after a warm shower.
For all-day moisture, easily whip up your own special body butter, lightly fragranced with essential oil–and label it the way you want! This body butter can make a fantastic gift when you put it in pretty packaging.
You will need four natural ingredients for this recipe, along with a good blending tool to whip them into a pillow of cream.
Let’s get started:
Body Butter Ingredients
(Makes 1 ¼ cups whipped butter)
¼ Cup Organic Raw Shea Nut Butter
¼ Cup Cocoa Butter
10-12 drops Jasmine Essential Oil (or other essential oil of choice)
Body Butter Tools
- Double boiler
- Hand mixer
- Glass jar
Body Butter Instructions
- In a double boiler or glass bowl, combine all ingredients except essential oil.
- Bring boiler to medium heat. Allow steam to gently melt butters. Stir constantly until all ingredients are melted.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Move to fridge and let cool for an hour or until butters start to harden but are still soft.
- Use a hand mixer to whip butters for 8-10 minutes until fluffy.
- Add Jasmine Essential Oil.
- Return to fridge for 15 minutes to set.
- Store in a glass jar with a lid. Use whipped butter as you would any body cream.
- Create your own double boiler: use two heating vessels. Fill one heating vessel half way up with water and place over moderate heat to create steam. Fit the other heating vessel, such as a glass bowl, on top to melt butters. Check out this guide on how to make a homemade double boiler.
- In the summer, if your home temperature fluctuates above 75 degrees your body butter may soften. To let it stay nicely whipped, keep it at a temperature slightly lower or refrigerate if necessary.
- Adding a small amount of beeswax to your whipped body butter recipe can enhance its creaminess and increase moisture retention.
- This nourishing, creamy body butter is a great gift idea! Experiment with ingredients by adding or substituting with mango or cupuacu butter and an essential oil blend of your choice.